One of the most common challenges couples come to therapy with is infidelity. Whether it’s one partner or both that cheated, it leaves a lasting negative impact on a relationship when not truly dealt with, even if the infidelity happened years ago.
The definition of an affair varies between partners or couples. An emotional affair is still considered infidelity for some people, despite the absence of a physical connection. But, if your partner cheats, what should you do?
- Give yourself all the time, room and space to process the infidelity.
- Have open and honest conversations about how you both feel when you both can truly hear it.
- Remind yourself that even though this happened, you are still enough.
- Remind yourself that everything you feel is valid, and you can allow all of it room and space to be.
- Remind yourself that it’s completely normal and okay for your insecurities to be louder as a result.
Marriage counseling or couple therapy aims to help couples understand each other, resolves conflicts, and improve the couple’s relationship overall.
Here are reasons to seek marriage counseling after an affair:
- Come to understand how it happen.
- Learn to communicate rather than act out your dissatisfactions.
- Learn to work together to re-build trust and a better relationship.
- Argue in a healthier way.
AT BCA Therapy, we have trained marriage and family therapists that can help you get through the toughest points in a relationship! Couples in therapy can expect that both sides will be heard.
Don’t allow someone to treat you poorly just because you love them. Love is never a reason to be treated poorly. When we struggle with self-love, we accept the love we think we deserve. We’re so scared of not being loved that we hold on to people who treat us poorly.
To experience true love, we have to rebuild and repair our idea of loving and fulfillment from within ourselves. This begins with loving ourselves and knowing how we want and deserve to be treated.
If you find yourself constantly doing things for your partner and can’t seem to remember the last time your partner did something for you, you may be taken advantage of. It is very important to have equality in a relationship. Let your partner know that you feel this way and have a sit-down conversation with them.
Don’t allow your partner to disrespect you! The lack of healthy boundaries could be reason why they are treating you poorly, WHICH IS NOT AN EXCUSE. Create healthy boundaries with your partner and let them know, if they don’t respect your boundaries the relationship cannot continue as it is way to toxic. It is important to distance yourself when the partner cannot respect you or your boundaries. There is only so much one partner can do and take. As much as we like to, we cannot change how a partner behaves, treats us, and fix their behavior in the relationship.
At BCA Therapy, we have therapist who offer family, couples, and individual therapy. If you are looking to find a solution or need help in a relationship. WE OFFER HELP. Let’s “DO THE WORK” together, we want to help you.
We have therapists in Wayne and Yardley that look forward to helping you.